White Paper – PROFINET vs. Ethernet: Overview, Roles, and Implementation
What is the difference between PROFINET and Ethernet? Can you give us a PROFINET vs. Ethernet comparison? We get these questions quite often. And they can be difficult to answer because PROFINET and Ethernet are complementing technologies, not competing technologies.
PROFINET is the Industrial Ethernet solution created by PROFIBUS and PROFINET International (PI). Ethernet is the most popular communication medium for creating networks worldwide. The roles and specifications of these two technologies often cause confusion. This White Paper will help clear any doubts by explaining the difference between Ethernet and PROFINET. Also, it will expand on their roles in automation applications.
Table of Contents
- Background Information: The ISO/OSI Model
- The Difference Between Ethernet and PROFINET.
- What is Ethernet?
- What is PROFINET?
- PROFINET vs. Ethernet
- PROFINET and Ethernet FAQ
- Is PROFINET… Ethernet?
- Can PROFINET networks use standard Ethernet hardware?
- Can PROFINET and Ethernet employ the same switch?